Monthly Archives: December 2011

Growing Deficit May Threaten Health Reform Law More Than Elections, Supreme Court Ruling

Posted on December 2, 2011 by - Coors Insights - December 2011

Written by Jaimie Oh | December 19, 2011 Cost-controlling initiatives under President Obama’s landmark healthcare reform law may face greater risk of “running aground” as the country’s deficit continues to grow, according to a Reuters report. The healthcare reform law has drawn intense opposition from conservative leaders, and the question of its constitutionality will be… Read more »

NorthShore CEO: Supreme Court Decision Won’t Stop Healthcare Reform

Posted on December 1, 2011 by - Coors Insights - January 2012

By: Molly Gamble Mark Neaman, CEO of Evanston, Ill.-based NorthShore University HealthSystem, thinks most provisions of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act will survive even if the U.S. Supreme Court rejects the individual health insurance mandate, according to a Highland Park Pioneer Press report. While Mr. Neaman doesn’t think it will overturn the healthcare… Read more »

Hospital workers don’t report 86% of patient harm events

Posted on December 1, 2011 by - Coors Insights - January 2012

By: Alicia Caramenico Hospital workers reported only about 14 percent of the patient-safety incidents experienced by Medicare beneficiaries discharged in October 2008, according to a new report from the Office of the Inspector General (OIG). Hospital staff failed to report the remaining 86 percent of patient harm events, partly due to staff misunderstanding what constitutes patient harm…. Read more »

Looming Doctor Pay Cuts

Posted on December 1, 2011 by - Coors Insights - November 2011

Written by Embra King On January first of next year the Medicare physician pay reduction plan is set to be implemented, unless of Congress steps in and provides relief from these pay cuts as they have been doing since 2003. The projected percentage of doctor pay cuts has fallen since earlier this year, however doctor… Read more »

You’ve Got Care

Posted on December 1, 2011 by - Coors Insights - December 2011

How technology is helping to bridge the gap between physicians and caregivers Currently in the United States, more than 29% of Americans are acting as caregivers for someone else. A majority of these caregivers also hold a full-time job, while they spend an estimated twenty hours a week providing patient care. With all this time… Read more »

Weak Economy Curbs U.S. Health Spending

Posted on December 1, 2011 by - Coors Insights - January 2012

by Julie Rovner No, it’s not quite going down. But health care spending in 2010 rose at the second-slowest rate in the last half-century. The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services reports that total health spending in the U.S. increased by 3.9 percent in 2010, just a notch above the slowest rate since the government started… Read more »

5 Top-Paid Medical Specialties

Posted on December 1, 2011 by - Coors Insights - November 2011

Written by Rachel Fields Here are 13 statistics about compensation of the five highest-paid medical specialties, according to MGMA’sPhysician Compensation and Production Survey: 2010 Report Based on 2009 Data. 1. Orthopedic surgery — spine Orthopedic surgeons specializing in spine made an average of $710,055 in compensation in 2009. Orthopedic surgeons (spine) working in a multi-specialty… Read more »

Money Matters: How the Hospital Revenue Cycle Impacts Patient Satisfaction

Posted on December 1, 2011 by - Coors Insights - December 2011

Written by Rachel Fields | December 19, 2011 Hospital leaders are increasingly prioritizing patient satisfaction, understanding that the experience of the patient impacts hospital finances, reputation and physician satisfaction. But one of the most crucial parts of the patient experience — the revenue cycle — is still neglected in favor of pushing customer satisfaction during… Read more »